Saturday, October 13, 2007

New morning at the Canyon and meeting the Bikers from New Jersey

Thursday morning began with me getting up at 7:30am. It was a good night's sleep since I had survived on just 2 hrs sleep the day before and had driven almost 5 hrs thru the boring yet spectacular highway 93 in Arizona touching on regular basis 100mph. We arrived at 9:30pm yesterday at our destination in Grand Canyon National Park South Rim, a motel style rest called Yavapai Lodges. It is about 4 - 5 miles inside the National park and is among a group of small hotels catering to the visitors.

The morning took us to the breakfast joint at the Bright Angle restaurant that is pretty interesting for a place which I thought is going to be just another tourist interest meal joint. I ordered for a nice oatmeal with banana splits to go with my 3 egg omelet with ham, sausage and cheese. The baked potatoes smeared in olive oil was really interesting too and I thought whether if this was among the best breakfasts I have ever had. Maybe the spectacular canyon was already casting its spell on me. The South rim which is among the most pictured and photographed allows visitors to take the free shuttle buses to the top.

The breakfast complete, we were on our way to the free shuttle bus stop. I can already see a long queue to get on these 2 coach buses which run every 15 minutes. Before we get to the bus stop, I get to photograph with our New Jersey Bikers Tim and Janus who are with 4 other biker couples exploring the Canyon. I am fascinated to see their big cruisers and as always they are very nice and offer me to take snaps with them.

I am now off to the bus and let's see what is in store for the rest of the day.

No comments: